One of the best ways to create publicity is by publicizing milestones. Here are five milestones that deserve to be announced in newspapers and publications:
- Anniversaries – a company is celebrating its 50th year in business; a county parks department is commemorating 100 years of public service
- Groundbreakings – a developer is breaking ground for a new building; an engineering firm is redesigning a bridge
- Appointment of a new CEO or other chief officer – naming of executives are routinely covered in business magazines and newspapers
- Launch of a new product or service – consumer publicity is essential and should be snappy and descriptive
- Opening of a new branch office – banks and retailers should always publicize expansions
Prepare a press release and develop a media list of reporters and editors that cover your industry or business. Remember to include consumer press and trade publications. Include photos that are pertinent to the announcement. Follow up with media that are receptive to hearing from you.
Support your publicity with well-designed and informative marketing materials, such as media kits, newsletters, and project sheets.
You may also wish to create a new logo that signifies the milestone. Use it on all of your marketing materials.
One more tip — think about purchasing imprinted items to give away at events. These might be t-shirts, pens, key rings, tote bags, or other items that can advertise your business. Use your logo and a tagline.